Kevin Bubb is the author of the blog “Financial Panther.”
He is a typical millennial that graduated college with loads of student debt, but was able to pay them all off.
Kevin is a lawyer by day and blogger by night with a mixture of side hustles in between.
We’re excited to have you, Kevin!
[2:37] Where did the name “Financial Panther” come from for the name of your blog?
· Simpsons reference, Homer thinks financial panther instead of financial planner.
[3:26] You have quite the student loan story. Can you tell us a bit of back story and what your plan was to pay it all back?
· Graduated from law school with $87,000 with student loans debt- that was with a half scholarship
· Plan was to pay back ASAP
· Joined a law firm and didn’t enjoy it but wanted to pay back all debt so focused on big payments.
[4:35] After you paid back your debt, you took a new job with a pay cut but didn’t actually feel the impact of a smaller paycheck. What kind of habits do you have to keep such a low maintenance lifestyle?
· Everyone at work has expensive taste, everyone else started spending a lot of money
· Decided to live like a student for a few more years to try prioritize paying off student loans
· Lifestyle remained the same, didn’t give in to lifestyle creep
· Saw a lot of people go to a luxury apartment
[7:7] I see you are a fellow Airbnb host. Would you recommend hosting to your friends? What do you find is the best part about hosting?
· Been hosting for almost 2 years
· Over 100 guests in that time!
· Being able to monetize your home is exceptionally advantageous
· Loads of people have a spare room so it’s easy to do, it’s not added pressure.
· You can try it out once and decide if it’s for you
[10:7] You have ton of side hustles going on all of which you report your monthly income. Which side hustle do you enjoy most?
· Food deliveries on bike
· Paid to do stuff you enjoy is awesome!
· Wag is awesome as well, most people need their dogs walked during lunch so it’s a great excuse to leave the office
[14:1] What advice do you have for someone thinking about doing a side hustle?
· Look for ones that don’t require a huge amount of upfront time or commitment
· Sharing economy is awesome, can try things out and if you don’t like it you can just quit
· Find side hustles you can incorporate into your daily life
[17:28] Chain of Wealth– Find out how Katie has made over $7,000 in just 6 months hosting on Airbnb.
Head over to chainofwealth.com/airbnb where she reveals her secrets!
If you’re enjoying this podcast, don’t forget to subscribe, rate and review!
Value Link Round
[17:55] Why do you think that people fail at achieving their dreams?
· If you don’t think something is possible you won’t made it
· Think outside the box, figure out how to get out of a situation you don’t like
[20:41] Do you have a favorite quote?
· Rick Ross – Everyday I’m Hustlin’
[22:16] Any last advice?
· Always think out the box and hustle!