Millennial Money is a personal finance, investing, and entrepreneurship community dedicated to financial independence and early retirement. He’s been featured all over the place including CNBC, the Washington Post, USA Today and the New York Times to name a few.
[2:51] So before we talk about all of your accomplishments, tell us about your rock bottom moment.
· In August 2010 Grant was back at home after 3 years after College
· In month 2- had only $2.26 in bank account
· There were no job prospects or nothing
· Made a resolution to save $1 million as quickly as possible
[4:56] Why did you start Millennial Money?
· Started in 2015 after reaching financial independence
· From August it took 5 years 3 months and 6 days to go from $2.26 to $1.25 million
· The bulk was side hustle income
· Got a job at a digital marketing agency and learned everything about it
· Started a few different agencies
· Keeping living expenses low was the secret
· Most of the time was spent working
[11:12] What was the turning point for you? When did you decide to quit your job and blog full time?
· Always wanted to be an entrepreneur
· The person that has a higher perception of value will pay a lot more
· It’s important to have a ton of energy
[15:0] Wrote a post about good vs bad debt. What’s the difference?
· Good debt is things like a mortgage or a home- stuff that has a good chance of appreciating over a period of time
· Some people say student loan debt is good debt- this is debatable
· Bad debt – payday loans, car loans, debt that doesn’t allow you to leverage
[17:26] Where do you think a lot of millennials are making their biggest financial mistakes?
· Money is infinite your time is very valuable
· Big trade-offs for money are not the best in all cases
· Don’t become a wage slave
· Believe in yourself
· A lot of people get stuck
[22:8] if you could go back in time, what is something you would change?
· Big sacrifices with health – tons of all nighters
· Ate badly, didn’t exercise enough
· There was no balance
· Being always on call is not great
· Chilling out can actually help you do better- don’t get burnt out
[24:27] What’s the plan for the next 10 years?
· 200-300 emails a week from readers- hearing from them changes his life
· Felt very fulfilled with the growth of millennial money
· Walked away from a massive salary
[28:6] Value link: Check out the Money Minute on Alexa and on iTunes!
Value Link Round
[28:41] Why do you think people struggle to achieve their dream?
· They are their own worst enemy
[29:0] What are some of your favorite books/podcast?
· Your money or your life – Grant knows Vicky!
· Financial freedom is on presale
· Revision History
[29:54] Do you have a favorite quote?
· Oh well guess we lose some we as long as the outcome is income
· Be in love with your life
· For things to reveal themselves we must abandon our views about them
[30:31] Any last advice?
· Keep fighting the good fight!