Jim from Route to Retire is an aspiring early retiree with plans to take his family to move to Panama once he is retired from his IT job.
Jim’s posts have been featured on sites such as Rockstar Finance and Modest Money- Top Finance Blogs. Welcome!
[4:0] Tell us something we don’t know about you
· Can walk on hands
[4:37] So you chose Panama but where would have been your second choice?
· Panama has a lot of characteristics we are looking for
· Costa Rica or Tennessee
[5:25] So most early retirees we have spoken to don’t have kids- has having a family made your FIRE goals harder to achieve?
· Misconception about kids and FIRE
· Family needs to decide on priorities
[9:6] So you are going to retire, but what about Mrs. R2R?
· She will be done working in the near future
[9:50] After you retire, what will be a goal that you want to accomplish?
· Spend more time on blog
· Write some more books
· Try out new things I haven’t had time for
[11:12] What topic do you think needs to be addressed more often in the personal finance space?
· Focus is always on money side
· Post retirement side of things
· People need to retire to something
[17:42] What advice would you give someone in their 20s-30s who also wants to be an early retiree?
· First, get out of debt ASAP
· Make changes accordingly- stop buying crap
· Invest in low- cost mutual funds
· Start a side hustle
Value Link Round
[19:13] Why do you think people fail at achieving their dreams?
· When you run into a hurdle, people seem to quit
[21:20] What other books or podcasts do you recommend?
· Podcasts: ChooseFI Podcast, Afford Anything
· Books: Rich Dad, Poor Dad; Cash flow Quadrant, Millionaire Next Door
[24:20] Do you have a favorite quote?
· You’re not going to master the rest of your life in one day, just relax, master the day and just keep on doing that.
[24:49] Any last advice?
· Don’t trade today’s happiness for tomorrow’s