Today we have one of our favorite bloggers on the show- A theatre student turned professional blogger, Melanie Lockhart and her blog is called Dear Debt.
On her blog, she writes some personal thoughts but she also invites others to write break-up letters with debt; something that most find liberating and esteem-building and liberating.
[1:20] Please tell us some more about yourself.
· $81,000 in student loan debt
· In 2011 couldn’t find a job
[4:22] If you could go back and tell your 18- year old self anything, what would it be?
· Don’t go to a private school
· Too big of a bill
[5:5] On your page, I read that people who die by suicide are 8 times more likely to be in debt. Can you explain a little bit more about maybe some warning signs to be on the look-out for? And some resources to help people?
· Kept getting suicide surge traffic
· Debt is not a death sentence- you are worth more than your debt
· National Suicide Prevention Hotline: Text 741741
· Don’t be afraid to ask for help
[9:35] You could create a blog on any topic, why choose debt?
· Obsessed with my debt
· Blog was accountability
[10:43] What are some of the most interesting or inspiring debt stories that you have had on your blog from people?
· Some are funny
· Some are heartbreaking
· Creates a community for support
[12:39] You said that you normally have about 6 or 7 side hustles going on- what have you done?
· Pet sitter
· Event assistant
· Social media marketer
· Brand ambassador
· Mother’s helper
[14:15] You are also a freelance writer- how did you get started on that?
· Started blogging
· Networking with other bloggers
Value Link Round
[17:35] Why do you think people fail at reaching their goals?
· Money limitations
· Lack of risk taking
[21:32] Best advice someone has ever given you?
· Be consistent
[22:21] What’s your favorite quote?
· I did not get this far, just to get this far
[23:21] What is some last advice for listeners before we go?
· All of this is a journey, you don’t have to do everything perfectly