Matthew Sullivan is the CEO and Founder of QuantmRE, a cryptocurrency startup that supports homeowners by helping them sell a fraction of the equity in their home without taking on more debt. A seasoned entrepreneur, Matthew has a proven track record in real estate innovation through his experiences as Co-Founder of the $50M Secured Real Estate Income Strategies Fund, and as Founder and President of Crowdventure.com, a real estate crowdfunding company.
[5:17] As mentioned above you’ve founded a startup that specializes in Real Estate & Crypto.
First off can you talk about what a security token is in crypto?
● Securities are well understood as stocks, bonds etc.
● ICO’s appeared over the last few years and companies started making money off these as tokens. Companies were able to use these tokens as a means to create funding of working capital.
● Companies started using ICOs to avoid disclosures and protections offered by typical securities.
● Tokens allow a huge amount of liquidity
● Leverages benefits of blockchain and is governed by the SEC/other regulatory bodies
[8:55] In traditional housing, you’ll apply for a home loan from the bank and based on your credit profile and down payment the bank will lend you money. How is crypto disrupting this space?
● QuantmRE allows people to unlock the value of their homes without taking on more debt
● If you have equity in a home, you can get paid cash for the equity
● Ultimately it comes down to trust
● Fund structured as REIT
[17:38] What makes the transaction enforceable? What’s to stop me from “selling” a part of my home and then disappearing? Visa versa, for the investor how do I know what I’m investing in is real?
● Traditional mechanisms are used to enforce, Matthew’s team has been involved in Real Estate for many years
[19:34] Do you think we’re going to see a shift from traditional funding sources to crypto with respect to real estate? Who actually owns the title of the property?
● Separate crypto from blockchain, blockchain creates a layer of truth
● The home owner remains on title
[25:28] Check out the Chain of Wealth podcast show notes pages! Tons of links and useful information.
Value Link Round
[25:28] Check out the Chain of Wealth podcast show notes pages! Tons of links and useful information
[26:4] What is your saving or retirement plan?
● Not Bitcoin!
● Matthew bets everything on his businesses
[28:54] Do you have any other books or podcasts you can recommend?
● Crypto the Wonderdog (Podcast)
● Reading the news- build up your knowledge over a period of time
[31:31] Favorite Quote?
● Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
[31:49] Parting piece of advice?
● The answer is right in front of you