Today’s guest Mary Wheeler is the master coach at Abundant Wealth Solutions. When I read her story, it reminded me of Katie’s student loan debt story and so many others.
Mary went to Mississippi State University where she majored in Psychology with a minor in Marketing and upon graduating she had $27,000 worth of student loan debt.
With this new debt, Mary decided to go back to school to earn the financial coaching designation and is super passionate about helping others dig their way out of student loan debt- the second highest contributor to the national debt crisis.
Mary, thank you for being on the show and sharing your story.
[1:35] So tell us something not related to your student loan debt- what are you like at home?
· Originally from Mississippi
· Currently living in Houston
· Enjoys spending time with family
· Recently taken up painting
[2:1] If you could go back to those blissful college days, what would you have done differently?
· Instead of taking our student loans, research more scholarships
· Attend community college first
[3:5] Have you been able to pay back your student loan and get rid of Sallie Mae?
· After 9 years after graduating still a lot ($27,000) owing so decided to do something different
· Created a plan & worked lots of overtime and chipped away at it
· Original plan was 2 years but managed to back it back in 96 days!
[4:14] Sometimes, student loans are needed- what is your advice to someone who is going to school for the first time or back to school and taking out a loan?
· Consider whether an expensive school is really what you want
· Cash flow for later life is important so always thing long term – jobs etc.
· Research 529 plans if you are a parent.
[6:14] Tell us about Abundant Wealth Solutions- what services do you provide? And how much do they cost?
· 1 on 1 coaching – $125 an hour, current financial situation assessed and plan created
· Accountability partner
[6:51] In your financial coach opinion, what is the silliest mistake that you see other people doing with their money?
· Subconscious spending – not knowing where your money went
· No budgeting
[7:37] What are some of the best options that people in their late 20s- early 30s could be doing with their money?
· Get out of debt
· Invest for the future
· Book: The Automatic Millionaire by David Bach
· Start as young as possible
· Pay yourself and change your family’s legacy
[8:37] You are located in Texas, but do you only offer services to other Texans or can people elsewhere use your service?
· Service provided nation wide
If you’re enjoying this podcast, don’t forget to subscribe, rate and review!
Value Link Round
[9:58] Why do you think that people fail at achieving their dreams?
· Inability to take action
· Create a plan and take action
[11:34] What is the best advice someone ever gave you?
· Don’t forget to take care of yourself mentally and emotionally
[12:4] What is your favorite word or quote?
· Do more of something do less of something, start doing something that you’ve never done before, stop doing certain things all together.
[12:47] Parting piece of guidance?
· Take action, there is a way out of student loan debt no matter how much you owe
Chainers, make sure you check out AbundantWealthSolutions.com- Here, you can read Mary’s story, there are some great blogs to read and programs that can help get your cash flow on a budget.